Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Since when was Nebelhorn so legit?


The Nebelhorn trophy will be taking place this week in Oberstdorf, Germany. I may be a little bit prejudiced, but I've always remembered it as the competition for people who were not quite "there" yet--the fifth through tenth placers at national championships who may or may not progress up in the ranks.

However, I'd be wrong if I said that about this year...seriously, when did Nebelhorn get so big?! This girl named Carolina Kostner is entering as defending ladies champion, as is Tomas Verner (love him!) on the mens side of things, and, in pairs, Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy will be putting in an appearance after an almost perfect season last year.

Even though this competition isn't one of the big ones for this season (those start in about three weeks), I'd at least take a peak at the mens competition. Will European Champ Tomas pull himself together after a great season, but horrible LP at Worlds? How is Kevin van de Perren doing after his surgery? Who is Michael Brezina and should we be keeping our eye on him? And, the big one (in my opinion)--just how is Nobunari Oda, the slightly disgraced Japanese skater who we haven't seen in awhile, going to be this season after a slightly questionable coaching change?

I'm feeling a bit like Gossip Girl now, so I'm going to sign out. We'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

TheSkiBug Airport Transfers said...

It is a pretty famous skating competition though and the Nebelhorn region also hosts a world famous mountain run and skiing competitions.